Seviers (Capt. James Henry Sevier and Charlotte Elizabeth Sevier)—English couple who gave their “all” to Swamiji and dedicated their lives for his work. Swamiji called them “Pitaji” and “Mother” at their very first meeting. Capt. Sevier, a retired army officer about 49 years old, had seen 5 years of service in India and in Swamiji’s words, “knows India a good deal.” They lived in Hampstead, a suburb of London, and attended Swamiji’s lectures at 63, St. George’s Road in May-July 1896. Drawn to him irresistibly, soon became his disciples. They hosted his holiday in Europe with Miss Muller. The latter having returned to England after Switzerland, the couple accompanied him through Germany and Holland (19.7.1896-17.9.1896). Returning to England Swamiji was their guest at Hampstead for some time. Disposed of all their possessions and accompanied Swamiji to India (1897). After spending some time in Calcutta and Darjeeling, went to live in Almora. In England Swamiji had told them of his dream-project, a monastery in the Himalaya and it had been discussed further during the Switzerland trip. Determined to make the dream a reality, the Seviers set to finding a suitable location and, after much searching, bought the site of the Advaita Ashrama at Mayavati and helped Swamiji realize his dream. The Ashrama, dedicated to the principle of “Advaita, and Advaita alone”, was begun on 19.3.1899. Upon the untimely death of B. R. Rajam Iyer, the talented young editor of the Prabuddha Bharata at Madras, the journal had ceased publication. Swamiji, particularly fond of this magazine, requested Capt. Sevier to revive it with Swami Swarupananda as editor. The Prabuddha Bharata offices were transferred to Almora from Madras. For some time Capt. Sevier who bore the expenses of purchase and transport from Calcutta to Almora of the hand press, the type, paper, etc., was its Manager and Publisher. Later Mrs. Sevier was Assistant Editor for many years. Capt. Sevier had gifted Rs. 8,000 to Swamiji’s mother. He passed away at the Ashrama on 28.10.1900 and his body was cremated according to Hindu rites honouring his last wishes. They were said to have accepted Hinduism (The Life of Swami Vivekananda, Vol. 2, p. 176). Swamiji, then abroad, called him “a martyr to the cause” (Ibid., p. 569). Visited the Mayavati Ashrama and met Mrs. Sevier (December 1900-January 1901). She continued to live there for about 15 years, playing a vital role in all its activities. Her bungalow, located a short distance away from the Ashrama, was known as “Mother’s Bungalow” and the connecting path as “Mother’sWalk”. Was trustee of the Ashrama. Gave invaluable service in the publication of Swamiji’s Complete Works. With her active assistance in selecting a suitable site and financial aid Swami Virajananda founded the Shyamala Tal Ashrama. Visited England (1909-1911), left Mayavati finally on 21.5.1915 and after a sojourn of 10 months at Shyamala Tal went to Belur Math and finally returned to England where she died on 20.10.1930 at the age of 83. She had paid 100 pounds for Sister Christine’s passage to India (Ibid., p. 628) and for some time the latter was her guest at Mayavati.