Ramkumar Chattopadhyay (1805-1856) – Eldest brother of Sri Ramakrishna, born in ancestral home at Derepore village of Hooghly district. Had mastered the scriptures. Married (1820) to the sister of Kenaram Banerjee of Anur, two miles to the north of Kamarpukur, to whom his own sister Katyayani was married. His wife died (1849) immediately after giving birth to a son, at the age of 36. Ramkumar moved to Calcutta in search of a living (1850) and started a school to teach Sanskrit at Jhamapukur (61, Bechu Chatterjee Street). Brought younger brother, 17 year-old Gadadhar over to Calcutta, to set him up in life (1853). Rani Rasmani’s temple complex at Dakshineswar was consecrated on 31.5.1855, the guideline recommended by Ramkumar enabling the Rani to overcome social and scriptural obstacles and fulfill her desire. Pressed by the Rani he accepted the charge of daily worship at the temple of Kali. In a year’s time he handed over charge to younger brother Gadadhar with Mathur Babu’s permission, himself taking up the lighter charge of worship at the shrine of Sri Radhakanta. Later relinquished that charge too. On a trip to Shyamnagar, Mulajore, died there of jaundice.