Pre-monastic name Charuchandra Das, fourth son of Shyamashankar Das, resident of Musalamanpara Lane (Justice Manmatha Mukherjee Row at present), ancestral home in Icchapur town in 24 Parganas. Studied F.A. at Ripon College, employed at a solicitors’ firm till he saw Swamiji on his return from the West in 1897. As a student had been drawn towards spiritual life from 1892. Heard speeches by Ramchandra Datta, visited Dakshineswar sometimes. In 1897 began frequenting Alambazar Math, gave up his job, went to Varanasi with his parents. Association with Swamis Niranjanananda, Kalyanananda and some disciples and devotees of Swamiji kindled in him the urge to serve humanity. With a few young men decided to put in practise Swamiji’s ideals and serve God in the starving, the diseased and the poor. On 13.6.1900 his friend Jaminiranjan came across an old, helpless woman dying on the street and, having begged a little money, nursed the woman to life, initiating work which led to the establishment of the “Poor Men’s Relief Association” (later named “Ramakrishna Home of Service” by Swamiji). Their work received some help from the public and Charuchandra gave up all worldly pursuits and devoted himself to running the Home of Service.
On a visit to Varanasi in February 1902 Swamiji gave initiation to Charuchandra and some others, his presence infusing them with fresh enthusiasm and vigour in their work.
Engaged in his mission for twenty years at a stretch, retired early in 1921, receiving vows of sannyasa from swami Brahmananda a few days later. Started a life of pilgrimages and spiritual practises. His was the thought and motivation behind setting up Sri Ramakrishna Sadhan Kutir at Kishanpur (1925). Died at Kankhal Sevashrama on 14.4.1926.
The Home of Service, which worked in close association with the Advaita Ashrama after the inception of the latter, later became the reputed Sevashrama of the Ramakrishna Mission in Varanasi, visited and blessed by Holy Mother on 8.11.1912. Charuchandra had also helped establish an orphanage and a home for destitute old women.